Litecoin is a peer-to-peer cryptocurrency community and open-source mission that expands upon the unique know-how behind Bitcoin. Litecoin was among the many 1st altcoins to enter the market and is at the moment the seventeenth largest cryptocurrency on the planet in market capitalization. Litecoin presents quite a lot of tradeoffs for customers in contrast Bitcoin, together with sooner processing speeds and decrease transaction prices.
Merely Put: Is Litecoin a Good Funding?
Whereas Litecoin does structurally enhance upon Bitcoin’s know-how, it nonetheless presents dangers to buyers. Litecoin’s quickly ageing infrastructure is now not as distinctive because it was when the coin debuted in 2011, with many altcoins now providing the identical advantages and effectivity. Litecoin’s founder, Charles Lee, additionally bought his stake in Litecoin in 2017, which has affected investor confidence.
Litecoin’s major objective was to create a model of Bitcoin that’s extra scalable and aimed toward small funds. Whereas it does obtain this objective to a sure extent, newer blockchain improvements equivalent to Stellar Lumens do a significantly better job than Litecoin. In 2021, Litecoin is formally a dinosaur coin, and presents particularly excessive danger for a high 20 crypto mission. For extra fashionable altcoin choices, see Best Altcoins in 2021.
The place to Spend money on Litecoin
Investing in Litecoin (or every other kind of cryptocurrency) sometimes begins by opening an account with a crypto alternate. A crypto alternate presents you entry to a buying and selling platform the place you should purchase and promote cryptocurrencies by putting purchase and promote orders.
There are dozens of exchanges providing entry to the cryptocurrency market. Among the elements you would possibly need to think about once you select a dealer would possibly embody:
- Coin entry. There are literally thousands of cryptocurrencies in existence, and no single dealer will mean you can purchase and promote all of them. It may be useful to make a listing of cryptocurrencies past Litecoin that you simply need to put money into to make certain that the dealer you select matches all your wants.
- Buying and selling platform. Some crypto brokers concentrate on offering a easy, streamlined ordering course of, whereas others attraction to extra superior buyers with charting platforms and evaluation instruments. Your expertise buying and selling will decide which sort of platform is finest on your wants.
- Charges and commissions. Most cryptocurrency brokers cost a payment or fee on every crypto buy or sale you make. Analysis every dealer’s payment schedule earlier than you open an account, as charges can shortly reduce into your income if you happen to’re a frequent dealer.
Unsure the place to start your search? Take into account opening an account with just a few of our favourite beginner-friendly exchanges providing entry to Litecoin.
Disclosure: eToro USA LLC; Investments are topic to market danger, together with the attainable lack of principal.
eToro is a cryptocurrency buying and selling platform that gives you with entry to among the world’s hottest cryptocurrencies. Commerce Litecoin, Bitcoin, Ethereum and extra with real-time knowledge monitoring and top-level safety. You’ll be able to even apply your buying and selling technique earlier than you enter the market with eToro’s digital buying and selling pockets, which provides you $100,000 price of faux cash to commerce with.
One in all eToro’s most unusual options is its spread-based fee schedule. eToro doesn’t cost a flat-rate share payment in your transactions, and in contrast to most different brokers, eToro doesn’t cost a payment on each purchase and promote orders. As a substitute, you’ll pay a single unfold regardless of once you purchase and promote.
Say eToro’s present unfold for Litecoin is 1.90%. When you place 1 order to buy 100 Litecoins at $80 every, you’ll pay a payment of $152 (1.90% of your $8,000 order worth). If the value of Litecoin then will increase to $85 and also you determine to promote, eToro will add a payment of $9.50 in your promote order. It’s because 1.90% of your promote order worth ($8,500) is $161.50, and also you’ve already paid $152 in charges, so you should solely pay the excellent steadiness.
This distinctive payment schedule additionally works in reverse. For instance, let’s say that you simply purchase 100 Litecoin at $80 and pay $152 in charges. Then, the value drops to $75, and also you determine to promote. On this case, you’d obtain $9.50 again from eToro. It’s because the unfold payment solely applies to the ultimate value of the promote order. Additionally, 1.90% of $7,500 is $142.50, and also you paid $152 once you positioned your purchase order — eToro will offer you a credit score for the distinction ($9.50). This distinctive pricing mannequin can assist you handle losses extra successfully.
Coinbase is among the many largest and hottest cryptocurrency investing platforms on the planet, with 35 million verified customers and 100 supported international locations. With 39 cryptocurrencies out there to Coinbase customers within the U.S., it presents a various vary of alternatives for buyers. From main names like Uniswap and Aave to smaller choices like OMG Coin and Cosmos, there are many alternatives to find on Coinbase’s platform.
Coinbase is standard with inexperienced persons specifically due to the platform’s intuitive structure and easy account signups. Most customers will be capable to open an account in only a few minutes, and you’ll place your order with just a few clicks from your house display screen. Coinbase can be 1 of just a few brokerages that permits you to purchase cryptocurrency utilizing a bank card. This generally is a nice possibility if you happen to aren’t comfy linking your bank account to your Coinbase account immediately.
After you make your buy, you may monitor your holdings on-line — Coinbase will routinely create a graph that shows how your portfolio’s worth is altering over time. The platform even permits you to schedule recurring deposits that mean you can routinely authorize investments on a schedule you set.
Fascinated with studying extra concerning the crypto market earlier than you make investments? Coinbase’s distinctive “Earn” characteristic permits you to watch just a few quick beginner-friendly movies concerning the know-how that helps every coin supplied on the platform. After you study, you may reply just a few quiz-style questions on every crypto. For every query you reply appropriately, you’ll earn a small quantity of free crypto, which you’ll see in your account. Coinbase Earn may be a wonderful technique to discover coin choices and begin your portfolio with out spending any cash.
Gemini is a cryptocurrency alternate and custodian that gives buyers entry to 26 cash and tokens. Based within the US, Gemini is increasing globally, specifically into Europe and Asia. Choices embody each main cryptocurrency initiatives like Bitcoin and Ethereum, and smaller altcoins like Orchid and 0x.
Gemini is 1 of the one brokers with a number of platform choices primarily based on ability degree. New buyers will love the streamlined interface of Gemini’s cellular and net apps, whereas superior buyers would possibly respect all of the instruments that include ActiveTrader.
Along with a number of platform selections, Gemini customers even have entry to insured sizzling wallets to retailer tokens with out worrying about digital asset theft. And Gemini presents quite a lot of distinctive options over competing cryptocurrency brokers, together with:
- A variety of platform choices. Gemini presents each a normal, easy net interface in addition to a extra superior ActiveTrader platform. This lets you customise your Gemini expertise to your buying and selling ability degree.
- Large collection of cryptocurrency choices. Gemini supplies assist for a various mixture of 48 cryptocurrencies, starting from main initiatives to smaller altcoins.
- Dynamic value alert options. Cell buyers will love the Gemini app’s alert options, which let you obtain a push notification when an asset you’re fascinated with reaches a predetermined value goal. You’ll be able to even set alerts to tell you when an asset will increase or decreases in value by a predefined share.
Benefits of Litecoin Investments
As among the many 1st altcoins in the marketplace, Litecoin sometimes holds its worth higher than newer altcoins with decrease market capitalizations. Let’s check out just a few of some great benefits of the Litecoin community and know-how.
- Decrease transaction prices. Litecoin’s know-how presents quite a lot of enhancements on Bitcoin’s infrastructure, together with decrease transaction prices. Whenever you ship Bitcoin from wallet to pockets, you lose a little bit of crypto because the transaction is verified on the blockchain. Although Litecoin operates in a really related method, its community is extra environment friendly than Bitcoin, which signifies that you lose much less cash once you provoke or obtain a switch. This can be a main profit for customers who flip to cryptocurrency for its advantages as a safe cash switch system.
- Quicker transaction speeds. Litecoin’s improved community doesn’t solely lengthen to processing charges — it additionally allows customers to ship cash a lot sooner when in comparison with Bitcoin’s blockchain. The common Litecoin transaction takes about 2.5 minutes to finish, whereas the typical Bitcoin transaction closes in a median of 10 minutes.
- Open-source platform. Litecoin is constructed upon a naturally open-sourced fork of the BTC Core Consumer. This makes it a lot simpler for builders to regulate the system and implement new options to maintain up with the altering wants of the market. Its flexibility additionally permits builders to implement software program safety patches frequently to maintain up with hackers’ altering strategies of assault.
- Recognizability. Litecoin has been round for fairly some time, and has remained one of the crucial well-known altcoins regardless of its fashionable technological irrelevance.
Disadvantages of Litecoin Investments
Like all kind of recent know-how, Litecoin additionally has drawbacks. Let’s check out just a few of the cons that try to be conscious of earlier than you make investments.
- Competing altcoins that provide related advantages. Litecoin was very early to the market and among the many first altcoins to broaden upon Bitcoin’s community. Whereas it nonetheless holds its personal in pace and effectivity, many different extra inexpensive cryptocurrencies working on their very own blockchain supply related processing occasions and transaction safety.
- Much less Safety. Whereas Bitcoin stays essentially the most decentralized cryptocurrency in existence, and subsequently the toughest to 51% assault, Litecoin lags behind in hash energy because the community struggles to draw new customers within the ever extra aggressive altcoin house.
- Shaky religion in management. A serious draw to Litecoin was its growth by Charles Lee, a former Google software program engineer and a revered identify within the cryptocurrency business. Lee bought all of his stake in Litecoin in 2017, citing a perceived “battle of curiosity.” This has referred to as management’s religion within the coin and its future into query.
Spend money on Altcoins
Although Litecoin does supply just a few long-standing advantages over Bitcoin and is at the moment the thirteenth largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization, it’s essential to do not forget that the crypto business continues to be largely unregulated.
When you determine to put money into Litecoin (or every other altcoin) at all times work by way of a trusted alternate — and by no means make investments more cash than you may afford to lose.
Associated content material: Litecoin vs. Ethereum
Benzinga crafted a particular methodology to rank cryptocurrency exchanges and instruments. We prioritized platforms primarily based on choices, pricing and promotions, customer support, cellular app, person expertise and advantages, and safety. To see a complete breakdown of our methodology, please go to see our Cryptocurrency Methodology web page.